Thursday, March 15, 2012

Art Lesson With Little Kids: Watercolor Splatter Monsters

We made "Splatter Monsters" today in the little kids' art class. (known as "Drippy Monsters" at the blog that I got the idea from, "smART Class" ).

This first one is my example I did the previous night so I would have a final product to show the kids. 


 It's pretty simple...just splash a little puddle of watercolor paint onto the paper, then blow through a straw to make the paint go all splattery!  Do this until you get the desired amount of splatter effect.  Add eyes and mouth from colored paper/cardstock...and voila!...a Splatter Monster!


I like that the kids used multiple colors for their monsters.  The merging paint makes a cool-looking effect.


(the writer of the blog I got the idea from said that she used liquid watercolor paint, which I went out and bought and used as well, but I learned while experimenting that regular watercolor paint works as well.) 







 This goofy little orange tripod guy was the step-by-step example I did during class.

The kids had a lot of fun with this one!  I'm sure their older brothers are chomping at the bit to do their own Splatter Monsters next week!

4 comments:

Altax said...

Cute kids and lovely artworks!!!

St. Patrick’s Day Crafts

Anonymous said...

So fun!

Unknown said...

Wonderful paintings and studies, really great to see!! Thanks for posting them!

Watercolor Painting

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait until my grandsons visit again so we can do this together!!